1. Course Identity
Course title: Research Methods
Hours per week: 3
ECTS Units: 6
2. Learning goals
This course includes the study and learning of the research methods procedures as well as of the successive steps of research methodology. The students will obtain the essential knowledge and skills for the analysis and evaluation of research papers, and for the design, preparation, syntax and presentation of small and medium sized research works.
After the completion of the course the students are expected to be able to implement the acquired knowledge in order to tackle successfully the research problems that may arise during the preparation of their postgraduate thesis, and to get prepared for any further studies for the acquisition of a PhD degree.
- The subjects covered are:
- Introduction to scientific research
- The research procedure
- Phases and steps of scientific research
- Methods for data collection and analysis
- Evaluation and use of literature sources – Issues of plagiarism
- Development of skills for writing scientific papers
- Development of communication and presentation skills
- Oral presentation
- Evaluation and publication of research papers
- Workshop for presentation of research work
The course will be covered by lectures (4 hours/week), as well as by homework assignments, so that the discussed issues and techniques to be implemented in practice.
5. Student evaluation
There will not be a final written examination. For the successful completion of the course the students will have to deliver a certain number of assignments which will be specifies by the instructors. The content and participation of the assignments are the following:
- Assignment 1 (10%): Finding of literature sources on the World Wide Web and subsequent evaluation
- Assignment 2 (20%): Oral presentation of a research paper
- Assignment 3 (70%): Writing and presentation of a literature review work on a certain subject (assignment of subjects after the completion of the second week of lectures)
6. Software–hardware requirements
The required hardware and software are fully available at the Department of Information and Electronic engineering.
- Ανδρεαδάκης Ν., «Οδηγός για την εκπόνηση και τη σύνταξη γραπτής ερευνητικής εργασίας», Εκδόσεις Ατραπός – Περιβολάκι, 2005. (in Greek)
- Δημητρόπουλος Ε., «Εισαγωγή στη μεθοδολογία της επιστημονικής έρευνας»,Εκδοτικός Οίκος ΕΛΛΗΝ, 2004. (in Greek)
- Ζαφειρόπουλος Κ., «Πώς γίνεται μια επιστημονική εργασία; Επιστημονική έρευνα και συγγραφή εργασιών», Εκδόσεις Κριτική, 2005. (in Greek)
- Τσιπλητάρης Α. και Μπαμπάλης Θ, «Δέκα παραδείγματα μεθοδολογίας επιστημονικής έρευνας: Από τη θεωρία στην πράξη», Εκδόσεις Ατραπός – Περιβολάκι, 2006. (in Greek)
- Blaxter L., Hughes C. and Tight M., “How to research”, Open University Press, Philadelphia USA, 2001.
- Judith B., «Πώς να συντάξετε μια επιστημονική εργασία», Εκδόσεις Μεταίχμιο, 2007. (in Greek)
- Rudestam K. E. and Newton R. R.,“Surviving your Dissertation”, Sage Publications, 2001.